DR. JOANNE BALKARAN, DPM, FACFAS
Born in Toronto, Canada to parents who emigrated from Trinidad and Tobago, emphasis in our family was always placed on the value of learning and education. After the deaths of my grandmother to cancer and my father to diabetic complications, I was inspired to pursue medicine. In accordance with my father’s vision for our future, I joined the Canadian Armed Forces after his passing, to pave the way for my three brothers.
Board Certified by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, I value advanced training. I graduated Magnum Cum Laude from Barry University as a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. I received surgical residency training at Palmetto General Hospital, Miami, Florida where I served as Chief Resident. I have additional training in trauma, reconstructive surgery and in wound care for both adults and children. I completed a Masters of External Fixation Fellowship at the Galezzi Orthopedico Hospital, Milan, Italy. Other advanced training courses included a Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy and Surgical Skills Certificate from the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons and specialized training in Taylor Spatial Frame External Fixation. Professional affiliations include American College of Foot an Ankle Surgeons where I serve as Division 5 President. I am also Board Director for Florida Hospital Waterman Healthcare System.
Hard working, goal driven and determined are ways that I would describe myself. Furthering my education has always been of the utmost importance to me. I consider myself to be a life learner and welcome the opportunity that this course provides to improve my leadership skills. Opening up a new practice is a daunting responsibility. There are numerous decisions to be made. There are so many insurance companies and vendors to negotiate with. I am also interested in expanding my practice to include other physicians and possibly another location. Acquiring new strategies to reach out to others, to enlist cooperation and facilitate effective communication will serve to create an optimum environment not only for increased patient care, but also for good sound business practices.
Concern for my patients’ well-being and recovery is my driving force. Respect of my peers in the medical community is earned by providing the highest level of patient care. Integration of strategies that forge communication between and among physicians, colleagues and care givers and the hospital is of paramount importance to advancing patient care. I welcome learning any techniques to increase my ability to be an effective leader and an advocate for improved patient health.
Palmetto General Hospital Podiatric Surgical Residency (Chief Resident)
Masters of Ring External Fixation
Kirienko Foot and Ankle Hospital Based Fellowship
Istituto Clinico Humanitas/Galeazzi Ortopedico Hospital
Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (D.P.M.)
Magnum Cum Laude, Pi Delta Honor Society Graduate
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences, Miami, FL
Masters of Science in Biomedical Sciences (M.S)
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences, Miami, Fl
Award for Achievement in Biomedical Sciences
Bachelors of Science in Biology and Psychology (Hon. B.S.)
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Bishop's University, Quebec, Canada
Leeds University, Leeds, UK
· ACLS, PALS & BLS Certified -- current
· Board Certified - American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
· Certificate of Completion- Skills Course in Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy
· Certificate of Completion - Taylor Spatial Frame Course,
· American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
· American Podiatric Medical Association
· Florida Podiatric Medical Association
· American Professional Wound Care Association
· Florida Hospital Orlando, Altamonte, Waterman, Leesburg Regional Center, Mt. Dora Surgery Center
· Balkaran J, Marin L, Auger F. Incidence of Deep Vein Thrombosis following Lower Extremity Surgery with a Protocol review (manuscript submission)
· Marin L, Auger F, Balkaran J. A Scientific Look at the Arched-wire Compression Technique for Triple Arthrodesis.
· Balkaran J, Marin L, Auger F. A Scientific Look at the Arched-wire Compression Technique for Triple Arthrodesis. Poster Presentation, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Maryland 2009. First Place
· Balkaran J, Yen C. Radiographic Assessment of Ankle Equinus - A Comparison of Standard Lateral View versus Charger View. Poster Presentation, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Las Vegas 2006.